MILFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL WORKSHOP MEETING
ON April 16, 2019 AT 11:00 AM THE MILFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL HELD A PUBLIC WORKSHOP MEETING IN THE BOROUGH HALL. PRESIDENT FRANK TARQUINIO, COUNCIL MEMBERS ANNETTE HAAR, ADRIANE WENDELL, KATRINA FOSTER, NANCY SCHOENLEBER, MAYOR SEAN STRUB, TREASURER GREG MYER AND SECRETARY PAMELA AHLSTRAND WERE PRESENT. VP MEAGEN KAMEEN ARRIVED AT 11:15. SOLICITOR ANTHONY MAGNOTTA WAS NOT PRESENT.
*** THIS WORKSHOP WAS ADVERTISED AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
PRESIDENT TARQUINIO CALLED THE MEETING TO ORDER AT 11:03 AM, and opened with roll call and Pledge of Allegiance.
BY MOTION OF WENDELL/SCHOENLEBER, AGENDA WAS ADOPTED BY COUNCIL.
LOT COMBINATION – 316 W. Catharine St. – Secretary explained that maps had previously been reviewed and approved by Planning Commission; not recorded in time. Applicants Allan & Stephanie Johnson had to re-submit. Planning Commission met on April 8, 2019 and re-approved; Council needed to re-sign.
COMMITTEE ORGANIZATION: Reviewed breakdown of committees, re-assignment of committee members:
Public Safety Committee: Mayor Strub
Joe Dooley (Resident)
Frank Tarquinio (President)
Borough Property: Rob Ciervo
Parks & Recreation: Annette Haar
Law & Zoning: Adriane Wendell
Budget & Finance/Insurance: Meagen Kameen
Tech/Communications: Katrina Foster, Adriane Wendell, Nancy Schoenleber
Discussion about “long term” finance committee – Sean Strub, Joe Dooley, Meagen Kameen, Adriane Wendell, Nancy Schoenleber, Greg Myer – To look at long term viability of the Borough, next 5-6 years.
Tarquinio also mentioned that they met with Chief McCormack last night. Asked if Nancy S would work with him on application for grant from Firehouse Subs.
Discussed Borough Property – Work needs to be done in order to rent upstairs of Borough Hall; Katrina asked if High School has a program that could do work; Mayor suggested that they reach out to Keller Williams to do clean up on their service day. Nancy Schoenleber will reach out to High School.
Katrina Foster said Communications Committee will have sign up for email at Music Fest.
Meagen Kameen arrived late- does not feel that the “long term” finance committee should be a separate committee, just expanded from the budget & finance committee. Secretary noted that need to make sure there are not too many voting Council members on any committee.
Wendell had question about Tech – combining with Communications. Mayor said they are in the process of approving Kevin, new computer servicer.
Storm Water Update –
Tarquinio met with Tim, Nick, Scott Sheldon from Water Authority. Number of sections which still need pipe work. Suggested that they break into sections (6 sections all together). Question from Kameen about cost- is Borough responsible for entire cost? Tarquinio said yes. Not part of money that they collect. Tarquinio suggested first step should be to get better version of map; will get an estimate for cost of map. Mayor said surveys for MEC show some sections; Tarquinio noted still trying to get plans from MaryAnn Monte.
*Pres. Tarquinio will get an estimate from Kiley to do map.
Budget – Where we are currently- Greg Myer addressed several line items which are “problem areas”:
– p. 3 – Capital Purchases: New police car was approved 10/18; actually done in 1/19, reflected in 2019 budget even though budgeted in 2018 ($7506)
– 500 Broad St- no money in budget; approved funds from Capital Reserve (total spent to date $21,878) (Note – per Adriane Wendell, that includes server which was approved in 2018 but not paid for until 2019)Tarquinio said approved up to $19K.
(Bill Kiger- public – asked if there was a written bid for repair of the cupola? Not yet; Kiger said the Historic Trust is committed to pay $5000 toward that. Annette Haar will reach out to Mike M)
– p. 4 – General government building – Utilities will go over budget- still heating Boro Hall, etc. and new office. Kameen said lights are often on upstairs; may want to look into motion sensors.
– Police salaries – Mayor Strub said will be about $16K over in police budget; Underestimated for this year- didn’t consider cost of training new officers($4K so far); also, counted Matt’s 32 hours as patrol hours, but most of his hours are administrative, and there is often another officer on patrol. Kameen questioned whether we can sustain both a Chief of Police and a patrol officer. Mayor said Chief is patrolling as much as he can, probably putting in more hours than we are paying him for. Tarquinio said Chief’s contract is coming up; Mayor said will discuss in an executive session. With regard to next year’s budget, will have a better sense of time, etc. Will add separate line items for training, administrative. Kameen asked if there is a way to track cost of training new officers and how long they stay working for the Boro. Discussion about contracts, whether they can seek reimbursement from officers for uniforms, training, etc. if they leave. Will have Solicitor review. Question about duplicate enforcement- is that included in $16K? Mayor said certain things (such as targeted crosswalk enforcement) is paid for separately by other funds.
– Zoning Officer salary – paid $4400 so far. Greg Myer said will be over budget. (Budget is $10K). Kameen asked if we can look at how much is brought in for permits during the same time. Include in monthly report.
– Tipping fees (for dump) went up – will be an additional $6,000.
Discussion about bulk pick up. Kameen said perhaps we should be concerned about what is being picked up (e.g., box spring, couch). Mayor suggested a fee schedule for pick up of bulk items. Needs to be scheduled through the Borough Office.
Update on Comprehensive Plan – Tarquinio said there may be renewed interest on the part of Milford Twp. to look at Plan; is Council interested? Yes – Tarquinio said he will contact them.
Ambulance situation/update – Tarquinio said waiting for proposed contracts from Commonwealth (4 proposals). Question from Jon Kameen (Public) if it would be reasonable to have County Commissioners to give explanation as to why they aren’t addressing it. Tarquinio said County waiting for legislation which would allow tax by County. Right now, County can’t tax for it. Haar asked how it would be funded- can we ask County to contribute? Tarquinio said Borough can collect ½ mil tax. County can’t tax for it, so won’t get involved.
Use of old Borough building, upstairs of Borough Hall – Discussion about renting, repairs. Rob Ciervo is supposed to look at Borough building. Will ask Sean Strub to have Arlene Quirk to look at space regarding rental of offices. Katrina can list in newsletter.
Review of proposed Ordinance revisions (scheduled for May 6 meeting) – Three proposed Ordinances:
– # 462 -Dwelling unit clarification – (*) only on Commercial and Limited Commercial; needs to be under Residential as well. Wendell noted this is NOT a change in Zoning- already in the Code. Question about a “dwelling unit” – read definition. Kameen’s concern is that clarification is clear.
– #463 – One way streets (direction needs to be corrected)
– #464 -Noise Ordinance – change Sunday & holidays to 11-8 (Kameen suggests eliminating “holidays”); proposing addition of an “alternative enforcement method” of “no audible noise at 75 ft.” Recommendation from webinar. Eliminates issue of decibel reader, calibration, admissibility in Court. Question of Kameen about decibel readings and verifying if you can hear 70 dcb when going 75 ft. from property line. Wendell said intent is not to issue citations.
BY MOTION OF CIERVO/HAAR, MEETING WAS ADJOURNED AT 1:01 PM